Old-Fashioned Southern Chocolate Frosting
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 1 1/2 cups
- CHILL TIME
- 30 Min
- COOK TIME
- 10 Min
Our Old-Fashioned Southern Chocolate Frosting is a glossy frosting that's perfect for topping cakes that you want to fancy up with decorating gel.
What You'll Need
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What to Do
In a small saucepan, combine butter, evaporated milk, granulated sugar, and chocolate squares. Cook over medium-low heat until chocolate has melted and mixture has come to a low boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; mix well. Chill 30 minutes to thicken before using.
This isn't like traditional frosting; it's more of a cross between a glaze and a thick icing.
- Want even more frosting recipes? Check out our collection of Homemade Frosting Recipes: 14 Frosting Recipes for Cakes, Cupcakes, and More.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
You're going to fall in love with this seasonal version of your favorite poke cake. Our Pumpkin Spice Poke Cake is perfect through-and-through. From the spiced cake to the vanilla pudding mix with added pumpkin pie spice, there's nothing but goodness in this easy dessert recipe.