Old-Fashioned Southern Chocolate Frosting
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 1 1/2 cups
- CHILL TIME
- 30 Min
- COOK TIME
- 10 Min
Our Old-Fashioned Southern Chocolate Frosting is a glossy frosting that's perfect for topping cakes that you want to fancy up with decorating gel.
What You'll Need
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What to Do
In a small saucepan, combine butter, evaporated milk, granulated sugar, and chocolate squares. Cook over medium-low heat until chocolate has melted and mixture has come to a low boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; mix well. Chill 30 minutes to thicken before using.
This isn't like traditional frosting; it's more of a cross between a glaze and a thick icing.
- Want even more frosting recipes? Check out our collection of Homemade Frosting Recipes: 14 Frosting Recipes for Cakes, Cupcakes, and More.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Enjoy a healthier-for-you breakfast with our recipe for Loaded Egg Clouds (also known as "cloud eggs"). The "cloud" in the name refers to the fluffy egg whites that surround the yolk. Our recipe also features tasty sausage crumbles, scallions, and pimentos. Serve these egg clouds alongside some toast and fresh fruit and you've got yourself a champion-style breakfast or brunch!