Old-Fashioned Southern Chocolate Frosting
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 1 1/2 cups
- CHILL TIME
- 30 Min
- COOK TIME
- 10 Min
Our Old-Fashioned Southern Chocolate Frosting is a glossy frosting that's perfect for topping cakes that you want to fancy up with decorating gel.
What You'll Need
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What to Do
In a small saucepan, combine butter, evaporated milk, granulated sugar, and chocolate squares. Cook over medium-low heat until chocolate has melted and mixture has come to a low boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and cook 4 to 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add confectioners' sugar and vanilla; mix well. Chill 30 minutes to thicken before using.
This isn't like traditional frosting; it's more of a cross between a glaze and a thick icing.
- Want even more frosting recipes? Check out our collection of Homemade Frosting Recipes: 14 Frosting Recipes for Cakes, Cupcakes, and More.