Baked Macaroni and Eggplant Neapolitan
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Baked Macaroni and Eggplant Neapolitan is like eggplant parmigiana and baked ziti all rolled into one. Every mouthful is pure delight!
What You'll Need:
- 8 ounces ziti pasta
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced (see Notes)
- 1 (28-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce, divided
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
What To Do:
- Cook ziti according to package directions; drain.
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Cook eggplant, a few slices at a time, until well browned on each side, adding more oil as needed. Drain eggplant on a paper towel-lined platter and cover to keep warm.
- Reserve 1 cup spaghetti sauce; combine remaining sauce with cooked ziti. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Layer half the ziti mixture in prepared baking dish then 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, half the eggplant, and 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese; repeat layers. Top with reserved 1 cup spaghetti sauce, remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella, and remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, or until heated through.
Make sure the eggplant is thinly sliced and cooked until very tender and well browned.
For easy Italian recipes you will make again and again, we've compiled this collection of 35 No-Fail Italian Favorites, Plus 7 Classic Sauces you can make at home!
- Looking for more tasty recipes with eggplant? Click here to check out our collection of Easy Eggplant Recipes: 17 Simple Recipes with Eggplant.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 368
- Calories from Fat 123
- Total Fat 14g 21 %
- Saturated Fat 7.1g 35 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 18g 35 %
- Cholesterol 41mg 14 %
- Sodium 796mg 33 %
- Total Carbohydrates 44g 15 %
- Dietary Fiber 6.3g 25 %
- Sugars 11g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
At first glance, you might think this is a rice dish, but it's actually a pasta side dish! Ya see, orzo is a small, rice-shaped pasta, that's often used interchangeably with rice. In our recipe for Orzo Mushroom Toss, we used orzo for its nuttier flavor, which goes great with the fresh mushrooms!