Cracker-Crusted Mac 'n' Cheese
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
We like to think we know a little more than most when it comes to making really good mac 'n' cheese. After all, over the years, we've made dozens of variations of this family favorite. Our air fryer version certainly doesn't dissapoint. It's extra cheesy, ooey gooey, and topped with a yummy, butter cracker crust. Basically, it's got everything a good mac 'n' cheese needs to make everyone smile!
What You'll Need
- 1/2 stick butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 cup diced mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup cup coarsely crushed butter crackers
What to Do
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter. Add flour, dry mustard, salt, and pepper; cook 1 minute. Gradually stir in milk, bring to a boil, and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Add cheddar cheese and continue stirring until melted. Add macaroni and mozzarella cheese to the cheese sauce; mix well. Spoon mixture into a 6-inch deep-dish metal pan. (Many air fryers come with a pan like this, but if yours didn’t you can use a 1.5-quart baking dish or disposable pan that’ll fit into your air fryer basket.)
- Preheat air fryer to 330 degrees F. Place pan in basket and air-fry 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in microwave. Stir in cracker crumbs and mix until evenly coated. Sprinkle cracker mixture over macaroni and continue to cook 3 to 5 more minutes or until heated through and topping is golden.