Italian Pastry Squares
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
These from-scratch Italian Pastry Squares have a light and buttery vanilla flavor that makes them irresistible. This pastry pairs great with afternoon tea or a fancy dinner. They also make a great potluck bring-along!
What You'll Need
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
What to Do
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, water, and butter over high heat until the butter melts. Remove from heat and allow to cool until lukewarm.
- Add vanilla and egg; mix well.
- Place mixture in a large bowl and gradually mix in flour until well combined. Roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface until paper thin. Cut into 2-inch-square pieces.
- Place 2 inches of oil in a soup pot and heat over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Place 5 to 6 pieces of dough into the hot oil and cook 30 to 40 seconds, or until golden on both sides, turning halfway through the cooking. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve immediately.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This hearty, all-in-one, beefed-up dinner will definitely knock your lederhosen socks off! Our Slow Cooker Short Ribs and Cabbage is a German-inspired dish that features meaty ribs in a sweet and tangy sauce with lots of cabbage. It's a slow cooker dinner that'll have everyone saying, "Ach Das Schmeckt!" (That's "OOH IT'S SO GOOD!!" in German!)