Italian Pastry Squares
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
These from-scratch Italian Pastry Squares have a light and buttery vanilla flavor that makes them irresistible. This pastry pairs great with afternoon tea or a fancy dinner. They also make a great potluck bring-along!
What You'll Need:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
What To Do:
- In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, water, and butter over high heat until the butter melts. Remove from heat and allow to cool until lukewarm.
- Add vanilla and egg; mix well.
- Place mixture in a large bowl and gradually mix in flour until well combined. Roll the dough onto a lightly floured surface until paper thin. Cut into 2-inch-square pieces.
- Place 2 inches of oil in a soup pot and heat over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Place 5 to 6 pieces of dough into the hot oil and cook 30 to 40 seconds, or until golden on both sides, turning halfway through the cooking. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve immediately.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 854
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25g 39 %
- Saturated Fat 15g 76 %
- Trans Fat 0.9g 0 %
- Protein 14g 28 %
- Cholesterol 108mg 36 %
- Sodium 224mg 9 %
- Total Carbohydrates 142g 47 %
- Dietary Fiber 3.2g 13 %
- Sugars 53g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you've been to a church picnic or, really, just about any kind of family get-together in the South, then you're probably familiar with pimiento cheese spread. It's a staple there! We thought we'd give these deviled eggs a Southern twist by stuffing them with a pimiento cheese mixture, and boy, did they turn out good! These Pimiento Cheese Deviled Eggs will be a hit with your family this Easter.