We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- SERVING SIZE
- 1 butter tart
- CHILL TIME
- 1 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 20 Min
The "butter tart" is considered one of Canada's quintessential desserts, and with good reason! All it takes is just one bite to understand what makes these so special. The pastry is super flaky, the filling is buttery-rich, and together...they're amazing! Our recipe for Canada Tarts is one you'll want to add to your recipe box!
What You'll Need
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins (see Note)
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, and 1 teaspoon salt; mix well. Add cold, unsalted butter, using pastry cutter or your hands, mix until crumbly. Gradually add ice water and mix with a fork until dough holds together. Divide dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine brown sugar and melted butter; mix well. Stir in eggs, corn syrup, apple cider vinegar, vanilla, and 1/8 teaspoon salt until thoroughly combined; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured work surface, roll out 1 ball of dough to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut out 12 (3-1/2-inch) circles using a cookie cutter or glass, re-rolling scraps as necessary. Press each circle into a muffin tin. (Dough will come up only 3/4 way up sides.) Repeat with remaining dough.
- Sprinkle each tart shell with 1 heaping teaspoon of raisins. Pour brown sugar mixture evenly over raisins, filling 3/4 full. Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until filling and crust are golden. Let cool 15 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tip!
- If you're not a fan of raisins, try making these with chopped walnuts. You can also serve 'em as-is (without the nuts or raisins), since they're good either way!
- For another Canadian favorite, check out our recipe for 3-Layer Nanaimo Bars.
- We've got desserts from all around the world! Try our German Pancakes, our Italian Cream Cake, or our Irish Lemon Pudding.
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Calories 224
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11g 17 %
- Saturated Fat 6.8g 34 %
- Trans Fat 0.4g 0 %
- Protein 2.2g 4 %
- Cholesterol 43mg 14 %
- Sodium 151mg 6 %
- Total Carbohydrates 30g 10 %
- Dietary Fiber 0.6g 2 %
- Sugars 14g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.