Mardi Gras Beignets
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Celebrate Mardi Gras with a New Orleans classic! Beignets are basically fritters, in that they're made from dough that's dropped into hot oil and deep-fried until golden and delicious. Before they're ready to be enjoyed our Mardi Gras Beignets are sprinkled with confectioners' sugar, just like they do in N'awlins!
What You'll Need
- 1 (1-pound) loaf frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar, divided
- 2 cups vegetable shortening
What to Do
- In a medium bowl, combine bread dough and 1 tablespoon confectioners’ sugar. Using your hands, knead sugar into dough. Lightly flour a cutting board and with a floured rolling pin, roll out dough to an 8-inch by 16-inch rectangle. Cut into 2-inch squares.
- In a large deep skillet over medium heat, heat shortening until hot. Add dough squares a few at a time and cook in batches about 30 seconds per side, or until golden. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter.
- Sprinkle beignets with remaining confectioners’ sugar and serve warm.
- Beignets are traditionally served with chicory coffee or café au lait (a mix of half hot coffee and half scalded milk) but any way you serve them, they're the perfect way to start or end the day.
- Craving even more mouthwatering recipes like this one? Check out our collection of Quick & Easy Mardi Gras Recipes.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
You're going to fall in love with this seasonal version of your favorite poke cake. Our Pumpkin Spice Poke Cake is perfect through-and-through. From the spiced cake to the vanilla pudding mix with added pumpkin pie spice, there's nothing but goodness in this easy dessert recipe.