Ooh So Easy-Fresh Strawberry Pie
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 4 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 15 Min
We've got an Ooh So Easy-Fresh Strawberry Pie that comes straight from the kitchen of Wanda H. She wowed Howard, and everyone else at the Test Kitchen, with this recipe, which is why it won our Patriotic Dessert Contest 2018. Not only does it have the red, white, and blue patriotism, but you won't believe how summer-sweet and American-made this tastes! Whip it up for any patriotic holiday, or just when you want something to cool you off in the dog days of summer.
What You'll Need
- Pie Crust
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup strawberry gelatin
- 4 to 5 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Whipped cream (optional)
What to Do
- In a food processor with the cutting blade attached, pulse flour and salt to combine. Add vegetable shortening and pulse about 5 times or until mixture forms coarse crumbs. Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time and pulse just until dough starts to clump together. Gather dough into a ball and flatten into a disc. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes or until chilled.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place dough ball between 2 sheets of wax paper; with a rolling pin, roll out to a circle slightly larger than a 9-inch pie plate. Place in bottom of a 9-inch pie plate, flute edges, and prick bottom and sides to prevent bubbles. Bake 10 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
- To make Glaze, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, cornstarch, and 1 cup water; bring to a boil and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in gelatin until dissolved; let cool.
- Place strawberries in a large bowl and pour glaze over them. Toss gently until evenly coated, then spoon evenly into pie crust. Cover and chill 4 hours. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
- Wanda: "I gave this a patriotic look by adding fresh blueberries and a dollop of whipped cream! Also, you can substitute regular strawberry gelatin with 1 (3.oz) package of sugar free strawberry gelatin, and, honestly, you'll never taste the difference!"
- To find out more about Wanda and her Ooh So Easy-Fresh Strawberry Pie check out her interview on our blog!
- Looking for more patriotic desserts to fill your holiday menu? Check out this American Berry Trifle or these so-yum Patriotic Blueberry Pie Parfaits!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Calories 0.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 0 %
- Saturated Fat 0.0 0 %
- Trans Fat 0.0 0 %
- Protein 0.0 0 %
- Cholesterol 0.0 0 %
- Sodium 0.0 0 %
- Total Carbohydrates 0.0 0 %
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 0 %
- Sugars 0.0 0 %