Quick & Easy Potato Recipes: 30 Scrumptious Recipes for Breakfast Potatoes, Potato Side Dishes and More
Utah's Best Funeral Potatoes
These comforting funeral potatoes use frozen hash browns for an easy, delicious dish.
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
When you're called upon to comfort someone and need the perfect bring-along dish, we recommend Utah's Best Funeral Potatoes. This hearty, creamy funeral potatoes recipe will surely be appreciated by friends and family. Of course, this easy potato side dish is perfect for a happy occasion, too.
No matter when you are making this dish, you can rely upon it being easy to make and completely delicious. We use frozen shredded hash browns so you don't have to worry about peeling and prepping fresh potatoes. And the texture that you get from the hash browns is just outstanding. The finished dish is cheesy, creamy, and comforting. The crunch from the buttery cracker topping is the perfect addition to each bite.
We hope you enjoy this comfort food casserole in good times and in challenging ones.
What You'll Need
- 1 stick butter, divided
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 (32-ounce) package frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 (10-1/2-ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup coarsely crushed butter-flavored crackers
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, melt 1/2 stick butter. Add onion and saute 4 to 5 minutes, or until soft.
- In a large bowl, combine hash browns, cheese, soup, sour cream, salt, pepper, and onion; mix well. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
- In a small microwaveable bowl, melt remaining butter in microwave; stir in cracker crumbs. Sprinkle cracker mixture over potatoes.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 to 15 additional minutes, or until golden brown and heated through.
Feel free to substitute any flavor cream soup for the cream of celery. Refrigerated, shredded hash browns also work well in this recipe!
If you enjoyed our recipe for Utah's Best Funeral Potatoes, then be sure to check out our collection of Quick & Easy Potato Recipes: 30 Scrumptious Recipes for Breakfast Potatoes, Potato Side Dishes & More.
Casseroles are always a favorite around here, both for their ease and their comfort, so here's another favorite we'd like to share: Amish Country Casserole!
Did You Know? These are commonly referred to as "funeral potatoes" because they're a traditional after-funeral side dish. Folks found that this funeral potatoes recipe iseasy to make, bring along, and even freeze for later. While no one knows exactly when or how funeral potatoes became so popular, it's pretty much agreed that their origin can be traced back to the state of Utah. Either way, it's a treat you'll be making for ages!
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Lookin' for just the right easy dinner recipe to keep your hubby happy? Then our recipe for Newlyweds' Pot Roast might just do the trick. Pop in a movie and get cozy while the pot roast simmers and get ready for those delicious aromas to start wafting from room to room. There's nothing like a homemade pot roast to show your loved one how much you care.