Pennsylvania Dutch Chowchow
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Chowchow is a Pennsylvania Dutch-style relish that you can easily make fresh to team with any of your main dish favorites. Our chopped, tangy Pennsylvania Dutch Chowchow is as down-home as can be.
What You'll Need
- 4 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 1 cup coarsely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mixed pickling spice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
What to Do
Place celery, green and red bell pepper, and onion in a large bowl; set aside.
In a saucepan, combine vinegar and pickling spice; bring mixture to a boil and boil 5 minutes.
Strain mixture, then add sugar, salt, and caraway seed; pour over vegetables.
- Cover and refrigerate 24 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator up to one week.
This is a great accompaniment to any meal. It can even take the place of a salad.