Good Luck Hoppin' John
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
If you want good luck in the New Year, Southerners will tell you that you have to eat a bowl of Hoppin' John on the first day of the year. No one is quite sure how this meal of rice, peas, and ham because associated with New Year's, but by the 20th century everyone knew about it. Our Good Luck Hoppin' John is our version of this traditional favorite!
What You'll Need:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped cooked ham (about 1/2 pound)
- 3 (15-ounce) cans black-eyed peas, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups hot cooked white rice
What To Do:
- In a soup pot over medium-high heat, heat oil until hot; cook onion, celery, and garlic 5 minutes until tender.
- Add ham, black-eyed peas, tomatoes, broth, red pepper flakes, salt and black pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 25 to 30 minutes. Serve mixture over rice.
- This recipe comes from our "The Ultimate Recipes Across America Cookbook." Click here for more info or to order your own copies of this book!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Calories 329
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8g 6 %
- Saturated Fat 0.7g 4 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 15g 30 %
- Cholesterol 10mg 3 %
- Sodium 1,164mg 49 %
- Total Carbohydrates 58g 19 %
- Dietary Fiber 7.7g 31 %
- Sugars 3.2g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Everyone knows that pork and apples makes for a winning combo, which is why we love this down-home recipe for Pork Chops Applesauce. This dinner recipe is perfect for your bunch at home, 'cause every bite is sure to deliver lots of classic flavor. (Plus, our homemade applesauce is so easy and so tasty!)