We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Savor the sweet taste of Vidalia onions with our recipe for Onion Straws. Our version of this all-American favorite is the perfect way to use up the fresh onions growing in your garden!
What You'll Need
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cold water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large Vidalia or other sweet onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
What to Do
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, water, baking soda, cayenne pepper, and salt until a batter forms. Add onions and stir to coat.
- Drop in small batches into oil and fry 1 to 2 minutes, or until golden, allowing oil to heat back up between batches.
- Drain on a paper towel-lined platter and serve hot.
If making these ahead of time, place on a baking sheet, cover, and refrigerate until ready to heat; then reheat in a hot oven until hot and crispy.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Enjoy a healthier-for-you breakfast with our recipe for Loaded Egg Clouds (also known as "cloud eggs"). The "cloud" in the name refers to the fluffy egg whites that surround the yolk. Our recipe also features tasty sausage crumbles, scallions, and pimentos. Serve these egg clouds alongside some toast and fresh fruit and you've got yourself a champion-style breakfast or brunch!