Classic Fried Chicken
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
If you like fried chicken that has real crunch and lots of flavor, then this recipe for Classic Fried Chicken is right up your alley. We give our chicken a buttermilk bath to make it extra-moist and flavorful, and coat it twice before frying it up so it's super crunchy. The results? The perfect, classic fried chicken.
What You'll Need
- 1 (3- to 3-1/2-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups vegetable shortening
What to Do
- Place chicken in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover. Add 2 teaspoons salt and soak chicken 20 minutes.
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, the garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper; mix well. Place buttermilk in another shallow dish.
- Remove chicken from water and dip in flour mixture, coating completely. Dip chicken in buttermilk then in flour mixture again, coating all sides.
- In a soup pot over medium-low heat, heat shortening until hot but not smoking, about 300 degrees F. Fry chicken in batches 8 to 10 minutes per side, or until golden and juices run clear. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter and serve immediately.
Make sure you round off the meal with our Award-Winning Mashed Potatoes!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 1,442
- Calories from Fat 938
- Total Fat 104g 160 %
- Saturated Fat 36g 180 %
- Trans Fat 0.3g 0 %
- Protein 71g 141 %
- Cholesterol 288mg 96 %
- Sodium 1,729mg 72 %
- Total Carbohydrates 50g 17 %
- Dietary Fiber 1.9g 8 %
- Sugars 1.7g 0 %
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
You're going to fall in love with this seasonal version of your favorite poke cake. Our Pumpkin Spice Poke Cake is perfect through-and-through. From the spiced cake to the vanilla pudding mix with added pumpkin pie spice, there's nothing but goodness in this easy dessert recipe.