Spiced Cherry Bells
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Add a little spice and a little whimsy to your holiday cookie platter with our recipe for Spiced Cherry Bells. We think the chewy, nutty topping, right in the center of the cookie, is the best part! Can you hear those merry bells ringing yet? We sure can! This is the perfect Christmas cookie recipe to help you and your loved ones "ring" in the holiday season.
What You'll Need
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon instant granulated coffee
- 2 sticks (1 cup) plus 1 tablespoon, butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream or milk
- 1 (6-ounce) jar maraschino cherries
- 3 tablespoons maraschino cherry juice
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped walnuts
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, and coffee granules.
- In a medium-sized bowl, cream 1 cup butter, 1-1/2 cups brown sugar, corn syrup, egg, and heavy cream. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, blending well. Refrigerate for 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine nut filling ingredients: 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar, 1 tablespoon butter, maraschino cherries, maraschino cherry juice, and walnuts; set aside. Roll dough to a 1/4-inch thickness and cut with a bell-shaped or round cookie cutter.
- Place shapes on cookie sheets. Place a teaspoon of nut mixture in center of each cookie and add half of a maraschino cherry to make bell clapper. Bake12 to 15 minutes.
Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tip!
- If using a round cookie cutter, after placing the nut mixture in the center, simply turn up the sides to form a bell shape!
- You can find more amazing Christmas desserts here! Try our Cold Christmas Fudge Cake, our Holiday Upside-Down Cake, or our Hot Cocoa Dippers!
- Check out the rest of the cookies in our 2018 Christmas Cookie Countdown!
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Enjoy a healthier-for-you breakfast with our recipe for Loaded Egg Clouds (also known as "cloud eggs"). The "cloud" in the name refers to the fluffy egg whites that surround the yolk. Our recipe also features tasty sausage crumbles, scallions, and pimentos. Serve these egg clouds alongside some toast and fresh fruit and you've got yourself a champion-style breakfast or brunch!