Southern Fish and Chips
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Southern Fish and Chips is our take on a traditional British favorite. We bread our catfish fillets in a kickin' seasoned mixture, and serve them with a side of sweet potato fries for a truly Southern eating experience.
What You'll Need
- 4 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 pounds catfish fillets
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes and oil; toss to coat completely. Spoon potatoes onto rimmed baking sheets in a single layer.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until they begin to brown. Turn potatoes over and bake an additional 5 to 8 minutes, or until golden.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; beat well. In another shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, the remaining cayenne pepper, the parsley, and remaining salt; mix well.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Dip catfish in egg mixture then in the cornmeal mixture, coating completely.
- Cook catfish in batches 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until the coating is golden and the fish flakes easily with a fork. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter. Serve immediately with chips.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
As the weather cools off and fall rolls in, we're often looking for new and comforting desserts for the season. Our Sweet Potato Cake takes your favorite everyday sweet potatoes and combines them with a few simple ingredients, before topping it with a homemade cream cheese frosting. What you get is a super moist, super cozy cake that the whole family will want a piece of.