We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
No chicken? No problem. The name may be misleading, but City Chicken is actually made with pork, (you know, the other white meat) and veal, because during The Great Depression, chicken was a bit hard to come by if you lived in the city. The idea behind it is to make the meat look like it's chicken by giving it a good coat of breading and sticking them on a skewer, but no one anticipated just how good or how popular this recipe would become! Whip it up for dinner and we know it'll be a family favorite!
What You'll Need
- 2 pounds boneless pork tenderloin and/or veal shoulder, cut into 18 (1-1/2-inch) chunks
- 6 skewers (if using wooden ones, soak 15 minutes before using)
- Salt and black pepper for sprinkling
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup Italian-style bread crumbs
- 2 cups vegetable oil
What to Do
- Thread 3 chunks of meat onto each skewer, alternating between pork and veal, and place on baking sheet. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides. In a shallow dish, combine flour and poultry seasoning; mix well. In another shallow dish, beat eggs and water. Place bread crumbs in a third shallow dish.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large deep skillet over medium heat, heat oil until hot, but not smoking.
- Dip each meat skewer into flour mixture, then egg, then bread crumbs, coating evenly on all sides. Carefully place skewers in oil, in batches, and fry 1 to 2 minutes or until golden brown on both sides. Remove to a baking sheet.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until meat is no longer pink in center. Serve hot.
Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tip
- Serving Suggestion: These go great with our Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce. It’s simply a mixture of 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon yellow mustard, and 1 tablespoon honey. Mix it up and it’s done.
- This recipe is from The Ultimate Recipes Across America Cookbook. Buy it today for dozens of easy recipes that'll have you saying, "OOH IT'S SO GOOD!!"
- Our City Chicken pairs perfectly with our Oven Roasted Potatoes recipe and these delicious Garlicky Buttered Green Beans.
- For a dessert that will always impress, make our Frozen Caramel Pizookie the night before.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 957
- Calories from Fat 725
- Total Fat 81g 124 %
- Saturated Fat 12g 58 %
- Trans Fat 0.3g 0 %
- Protein 37g 74 %
- Cholesterol 153mg 51 %
- Sodium 340mg 14 %
- Total Carbohydrates 22g 7 %
- Dietary Fiber 1.0g 4 %
- Sugars 1.4g 0 %