Authentic Manhattan Clam Chowder
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
When it comes to clam chowder, you either like it Manhattan-style or creamy like they make it in New England. Well, for those of you who never had Authentic Manhattan Clam Chowder, like this one, just wait until you take your first spoon full. With its tangy tomato base, combined with lots of chopped clams, what's not to love? What's even better? It whips up in just 20 minutes! The authentic flavor will leave your taste buds happy and your belly full!
What You'll Need
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 (6-1/2 ounces) cans chopped clams, undrained
- 2 (8 ounce) bottles clam juice
- 1 cup diced potatoes, uncooked (about 1 medium potato)
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
What to Do
- In a soup pot over medium heat, cook onion, celery, and carrot in butter 5 minutes, or until tender. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Test Kitchen Tip
- Still can't decide which version you like? How about making a pot of each, one New England-style and the other this Manhattan version. Then conduct your own taste test!
- Our Buttery Pilgrim Biscuits will make a great side and dipping bread for this recipe!
- Remember to wrap up this delicious meal with a New York Style Cheesecake!
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This summer, how about using those ruby red tomatoes to bake up something a little unusual but a whole lot tasty? We call it Summer's Best Tomato Pie and it's so fresh and creamy, you're gonna have a hard time stopping at one slice. With tomatoes being such a great summer food buy, you may want to bake one for a friend, too!