Mom's Chicken Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Need a little comfort that only "Mom" can provide? Well, you're sure to feel and taste lots of TLC in each spoonful of our Test Kitchen's classic soothing Mom's Chicken Soup.
What You'll Need:
- 1 (3- to 4-pound) chicken, cut into quarters
- 4 quarts water
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 3 celery stalks, cut into chunks
- 2 onions, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Chicken base or bouillon cubes to taste, optional (see Notes)
What To Do:
- Rinse chicken under cold running water. In a soup pot over medium-high heat, combine all ingredients except chicken base; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer about 1-1/2 hours, or until chicken falls off bones. Cool slightly, then separate chicken from bones, discarding bones. Return chicken pieces to soup. Add chicken base, if desired, and stir until completely dissolved.
- If you decide to intensify the flavor of your soup with chicken base, begin with 1 or 2 tablespoons. If you are using chicken bouillon cubes, you can use 2 to 3.
- If you would like to make this soup a bit heartier, add some cooked egg noodles and no one will leave the table hungry.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Celebrate Mardi Gras with a New Orleans classic! Beignets are basically fritters, in that they're made from dough that's dropped into hot oil and deep-fried until golden and delicious. Before they're ready to be enjoyed our Mardi Gras Beignets are sprinkled with confectioners' sugar, just like they do in N'awlins!