Poppy Seed Bread
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Poppy seed breads are a Pennsylvania Dutch specialty, but this one's a special easy treat from Georgia.
What You'll Need
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple in unsweetened juice, drained and juice reserved
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Grated peel of 1 orange
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons poppy seed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
What to Do
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice (discard the remaining juice or set aside for another use), the pineapple, orange juice, grated orange peel, milk, eggs, brown sugar, oil, and poppy seed.
- In another large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the pineapple mixture to the flour mixture, folding the batter just enough to moisten all ingredients. Do not overmix.
- Pour into a greased 9" X 5" loaf pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool completely before slicing.
- Makes 1 loaf.