Holiday Butter Cookies
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 72 (6 dozen)
- CHILL TIME
- 1 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 10 Min
These Holiday Butter Cookies not only capture the traditional butter cookie flavor that we all love, but they look like the perfect present anyone would enjoy unwrapping this year! Plus, this Christmas cookie recipe is perfect if you're looking to feed a crowd; one way or another, our Holiday Butter Cookies are going to give you a taste of joy this season.
What You'll Need
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 drops red food color
- 12 drops green food color
What to Do
- Line a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap; leave some plastic wrap hanging over sides of pan.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until well blended. Beat in flour and salt just until dough forms.
- Divide dough into 3 parts. In a medium bowl, mix 1-part dough with red food color until thoroughly blended. Press red dough into bottom of prepared pan. Gently press plain colored dough on top of red dough.
- In another medium bowl, mix the remaining dough with green food color. Gently press the green dough on top of plain dough. Cover, refrigerate at least one hour until chilled.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Using plastic wrap, lift dough from pan. Cut dough lengthwise in half, then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place on baking sheets.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown around edges.
Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tip!
- Although the recipe calls for 12 drops each of red and green food coloring, you can add more to achieve the colors you like. Go slow, a little food coloring makes a big difference!
- Looking for more Christmas desserts? Try our Strawberry Eggnog Pie, our Holiday Gingerbread Fudge, or Santa's Creamy Christmas Treat!
- Be sure to check out all the cookies in our 2018 Christmas Cookie Countdown!
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Enjoy a healthier-for-you breakfast with our recipe for Loaded Egg Clouds (also known as "cloud eggs"). The "cloud" in the name refers to the fluffy egg whites that surround the yolk. Our recipe also features tasty sausage crumbles, scallions, and pimentos. Serve these egg clouds alongside some toast and fresh fruit and you've got yourself a champion-style breakfast or brunch!