Basic Macaroni Salad
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Our easy recipe for Basic Macaroni Salad is a potluck staple. No frills in this recipe, and that's what makes it absolutely perfect! Simple, delicious, classic flavors make this "basic" macaroni dish an absolute work of art. This has become one of our favorite go-to dishes, and we know you'll feel the same about this flavorful childhood favorite!
What You'll Need
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 5 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
What to Do
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook macaroni over high heat 7 to 9 minutes, or just until tender. Drain, rinse, and let cool.
- Place macaroni in a large bowl, add remaining ingredients, and mix well. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
Check This Out!
- Check out all of our best deli salad recipes in our FREE eCookbook, Simply Deli Salads: 28 Best Recipes for Potato Salad, Macaroni Salad and More.
- If you've got potluck recipes on the brain, then you'll love our collection of Party Pleasers: 57 Easy Potluck Recipes or check out more great macaroni salad recipes in our recipe collection, How to Make Macaroni Salad: 10 Simple Macaroni Salad Recipes.
- Make it Your Own! Chances are, you've probably enjoyed many different kinds of macaroni salad throughout the years, especially at potlucks, picnics, and barbecues. Macaroni salad is almost an American summer tradition, and like with any "traditional" food, each part of the country has their own way of making it.
For example, in a Southern recipe for macaroni salad you might find lots of mayonnaise or a similar salad dressing spread, with sweet pickles or relish. For people on the West Coast, the best macaroni salad might be something more like our Southwest Macaroni Salad.
Truth is, there's no right or wrong macaroni salad recipe - it's up to you! We think our Basic Macaroni Salad is great as-is, but we also invite you to get creative and change things up to suit your family's tastes. Then, share what you did differently in the comments below!
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Calories 420
- Calories from Fat 193
- Total Fat 21g 33 %
- Saturated Fat 4.7g 23 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 10g 20 %
- Cholesterol 113mg 38 %
- Sodium 613mg 26 %
- Total Carbohydrates 47g 16 %
- Dietary Fiber 1.8g 7 %
- Sugars 5.4g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Believe it or not, this Chinese Cabbage 'n' Chicken Salad is a favorite in the Mr. Food Test Kitchen. It's requested at least once a month and devoured within the lunch hour. Most of us agree that it's the homemade Asian-style dressing that really makes this recipe amazing, but we'll leave it up to you to be the judge!