German Potato Pancakes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 7 to 8 pancakes
- COOK TIME
- 20 Min
We use real potatoes in our German Potato Pancakes to make sure we get that classic potato pancake taste we know and love. Whether you serve these up for a family breakfast or serve 'em on the side of dinner, we know the gang'll go crazy for them!
What You'll Need
- 4 baking potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
What to Do
Coarsely grate the potatoes and put them and the onion in a strainer. Press down with the back of a large spoon to extract excess moisture. (If they're still watery, wrap them in a clean dish towel and squeeze to extract moisture.)
In a large bowl, combine potatoes, onion, and egg; mix well. Gradually add flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper; mix well.
In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1/4 inch oil. Using about 1/3 cup of batter per pancake, add batter to the hot oil, being careful not to crowd the pan.
- Fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden; turn and fry an additional 3 to 4 minutes, or until cooked through. Add more oil as needed until all batter is used. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.