Quick & Easy Potato Recipes: 30 Scrumptious Recipes for Breakfast Potatoes, Potato Side Dishes and More
True Fried Grits
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 2 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 12 Min
Yep, our True Fried Grits are the real thing...a down-home Southern classic with a today-easy twist!
What You'll Need
- 5 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups white or yellow grits
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
What to Do
- In a medium saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil over medium heat. Line a 9- x 5-inch loaf pan with plastic wrap and coat with cooking spray; set aside.
- Stirring constantly, add grits and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until water is absorbed and mixture is very thick. Spoon grits into loaf pan. Cover and chill at least 2 hours, or until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, cut into 1/2-inch slices. In a large skillet, heat butter and oil over medium heat until hot but not smoking. Fry slices a few at a time for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden. Serve immediately.
Use only as many slices as you need and keep the remaining loaf in the refrigerator, well wrapped, until needed again. To make traditionally shaped fried grits, rinse several heavy glasses with water. Pack the warm grits firmly in the glasses and chill. Remove the entire log from the glass (or glasses) and slice off as much as you want, returning the rest to the fridge in the glass(es). Fry your round grits as above. And if you're wondering what the difference is between the yellow and white grits, it's not only the color: The yellow ones have a stronger corn flavor.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
These from-scratch pumpkin pancakes are the perfect way to start off your weekend! Our recipe uses pumpkin pie filling to bring the comforting feeling of fall right to your kitchen. Make sure to top them with a bit of butter and a lot of syrup for a pumpkin taste straight from heaven! Whether you're making it for the grown-ups, the kids, or both, everyone will love our cozy Pumpkin Patch Pancakes.