Butternut Squash Roll
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 2 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 12 Min
Make this the year you "roll out" a showstopping dessert that no one will forget! Our recipe for Butternut Squash Roll looks like something you picked up at a fancy bakery, but is actually easy to make. Filled with cream cheese and spices, this is a dessert they'll all "fall" over for!
What You'll Need
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (11-ounce) package frozen butternut squash, thawed and drained
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (1/2-stick) butter, softened
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 10- x 15-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt; mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat eggs 4 to 5 minutes, or until fluffy. Beat in granulated sugar, squash, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Beat flour mixture into squash mixture until well blended, then pour batter onto baking sheet.
- Bake 12 to 15 miutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and invert onto a clean kitchen towel that has been sprinkled with confectioners' sugar. While cake is still hot, roll it up jelly roll-style from the narrow end; cool on a wire rack. When cool, unroll cake and remove towel.
- In a small bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat 1 cup confectioners' sugar, the cream cheese, butter, and remaining vanilla until creamy. Spread over top of cake then roll it up again. Chill at least 2 hours. When ready to serve, sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, then cut into 1/2-inch slices.
- You might want to serve this sprinkled with additional cinnamon for an elegant touch.
- For more showstopping holiday-perfect desserts like this one, try our Upside Down Apple Pie or Chocolate Cream Pie!
- And don't forget to check out our free eCookbook, 25 Scrumptious Pies & Desserts for Thanksgiving and Beyond.