Fried Cornmeal Mush
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 8 slices
- CHILL TIME
- 2 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 20 Min
This old-fashioned recipe for Fried Cornmeal Mush is one that won't ever go out of style. Most Midwesterners will tell you it's one of their go-to breakfast staples, while some folks will say it makes a tasty side dish! However you eat it, there's no denying it's gooood.
What You'll Need
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- maple syrup for drizzling
What to Do
- Coat an 8- x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil over medium heat. Gradually stir in cornmeal, cold water, sugar, and salt; cook until thick. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into loaf pan, cool, and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Invert onto board and cut into 1-inch slices.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat and fry cornmeal slices for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides. Sprinkle with bacon bits and drizzle with maple syrup.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This recipe was inspired by Elvis, who had a love for all things peanut butter, bananas, and bacon! We may not be able to perform rock 'n' roll like our good friend, Terry Buchwald, but our Peanut Butter Banana French Toast Bake is our way of paying tribute to the King.
Easy-Breezy Smoothie Bowl
All In One Breakfast
Breakfast English Muffin Melt
Breakfast in a Mug
Layered Amish Breakfast Bake
Easy-Breezy Brunch: 26 Easy Brunch Recipes for Any Occasion
Ham and Cheese Quiche
Farmer's Breakfast Bake
Potato Tot Breakfast Bake
Best Breakfast Recipes for One: 12 Recipes for One Person