Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Nothing that comes out of a box will compare to our comforting recipe for Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese. The little bit of extra effort to do it ourselves will reap such a big pay-off -- it's worth every moment! So, roll up your sleeves, and get ready for a no-frill mac and cheese that will change the way you think of dinner.
What You'll Need
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In a large pot, cook macaroni according to package directions; drain, return macaroni to pot, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 1/2 cup butter. Add flour, salt, and pepper; mix well. Gradually add milk, bring to a boil, and cook until smooth and thickened, stirring constantly. Add cheese and continue stirring until melted.
- Add three-quarters of cheese sauce to macaroni; mix well. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and pour remaining cheese sauce evenly over top.
- In a microwaveable bowl, melt remaining butter in microwave. Stir in crushed crackers; mix until crumbs are evenly coated. Sprinkle evenly over top of macaroni.
- Bake uncovered 30 to 35 minutes, or until heated through.
Check This Out!
- How about topping off this ultimate comfort meal with a bowl of creamy rice pudding! Mmmm!
- If you're looking for other great homestyle macaroni and cheese recipes, check out our collection of 22 Best Mac and Cheese Recipes.
- Need more cheese? Try our "Unstuffed" Stuffed Cheesy Pork Chops, our Pull-Apart Cheese Bread, or our Cheesy Bacon Pierogi Bake!
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 889
- Calories from Fat 412
- Total Fat 46g 70 %
- Saturated Fat 28g 141 %
- Trans Fat 0.8g 0 %
- Protein 36g 73 %
- Cholesterol 133mg 44 %
- Sodium 1,202mg 50 %
- Total Carbohydrates 82g 27 %
- Dietary Fiber 3.1g 12 %
- Sugars 11g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you've never heard of toad-in-the-hole, well, let us enlighten you! It's a recipe that is perfect for breakfast, dinner, or even brinner -- that's breakfast for dinner! Our Sheet Pan Toad-in-the-Hole comes together with all the flavors you love, without any of the mess of a traditional big breakfast. Once you try it, you're gonna wonder how you lived without it!