Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Nothing that comes out of a box will compare to our comforting recipe for Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese. The little bit of extra effort to do it ourselves will reap such a big pay-off -- it's worth every moment! So, roll up your sleeves, and get ready for a no-frill mac and cheese that will change the way you think of dinner.
What You'll Need
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. In a large pot, cook macaroni according to package directions; drain, return macaroni to pot, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 1/2 cup butter. Add flour, salt, and pepper; mix well. Gradually add milk, bring to a boil, and cook until smooth and thickened, stirring constantly. Add cheese and continue stirring until melted.
- Add three-quarters of cheese sauce to macaroni; mix well. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish and pour remaining cheese sauce evenly over top.
- In a microwaveable bowl, melt remaining butter in microwave. Stir in crushed crackers; mix until crumbs are evenly coated. Sprinkle evenly over top of macaroni.
- Bake uncovered 30 to 35 minutes, or until heated through.
Check This Out!
- How about topping off this ultimate comfort meal with a bowl of creamy rice pudding! Mmmm!
- If you're looking for other great homestyle macaroni and cheese recipes, check out our collection of 22 Best Mac and Cheese Recipes.
- Need more cheese? Try our "Unstuffed" Stuffed Cheesy Pork Chops, our Pull-Apart Cheese Bread, or our Cheesy Bacon Pierogi Bake!
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 889
- Calories from Fat 412
- Total Fat 46g 70 %
- Saturated Fat 28g 141 %
- Trans Fat 0.8g 0 %
- Protein 36g 73 %
- Cholesterol 133mg 44 %
- Sodium 1,202mg 50 %
- Total Carbohydrates 82g 27 %
- Dietary Fiber 3.1g 12 %
- Sugars 11g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Switch up your dinnertime routine by serving up our cheesy, baked Spinach and Artichoke Calzones. They're perfect for holding right in your hand and dunking into your favorite marinara sauce. You might just find yourself making these as an on-the-go lunch, too!